Thursday, February 26, 2009

Guest Blogger: About Corn Waffles

In the spirit of the waffle posts from last Sunday I invited my mom to share her Corn Waffle recipe with the story of where it originated. - Suz

Henry's first wife Lorraine made Corn Waffles and Pancakes for the family, as well as crepes. Jo Anne gave me the recipe for crepes but I never asked her for Lorraine's recipe for the waffles and pancakes. Henry told me she "just put some whole kernel corn in the batter". Here is the recipe. I don't fix them very often or when I do I sometimes just add corn in the batter that I fix for him. I made them more often when you children were home.


Recipe: "Oh Boy Waffles"
2 1/4 c. flour (can use 1/2 white and 1/2 whole wheat)
4 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
1 1/2 T. sugar
2 beaten eggs
2 1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. salad oil
1 c. whole kernel corn (add at the last)

Measure dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. In a separate bowl measure wet ingredients except for the corn. Whisk together until well blended and pour over the dry ingredients. Whisk until just barely blended and add the corn. The batter is quite thin and will come out of the baker crispy on the outside and should be eaten immediately. ...and enjoy! (The left-overs freeze well and can be toasted lightly for a quick breakfast; they're good too.)

- Diana Johnson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never tried corn in waffles but do make a think pancake dough and add whole kernel corn and drop teaspoon full into deep fat fryer, fry about 90 seconds and drain and dip in syrup for a very tasty tid bit although sure not as health as yours. Will try waffles next time thanks~ Mom ( in law)