Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tuesday Night Hike: The Living Room

Once upon a time there was a living room in the mountains. It sounds like the start of a children's story. Large flat rocks made up the sofas. Comfy stone reading chairs sat like thrones overlooking a giant lake and sparkling city... there was only one way to get there, by following a winding, rocky path lined with nodding yellow flowers past the shoreline of an ancient lake.

Mule Ears, wildflowers found on the Wasatch mountains

Last night my friend Kristi and I went to the Sierra Club, Tuesday Night Hike. The hike was to the "Living Room" up above the research park, near the University of Utah. There were all sorts of flowers along the way, Mule Ears were all over the mountainsides and we passed some other flowers I didn't recognize. Both low growing, one looked kind of like a pink/purple sweet pea and the other had several large white blossoms and a sweet, almost spicy scent.

The Living Room is perched on a west-facing mountain and the chairs are made from stacked stones. When I got there the sun was low on the horizon and everybody else had already arrived. I think it was the second arrival for one of the group who had come to check on Kristi and I. As the sun crept closer to the land it turned the city below hues of glowing gold. It was good to visit the Living Room.

This is the only photo of the actual Living Room I have to share. My camera batteries died.

Suz

No comments: